Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Stress


Chances are, if you're a college student, you know from personal experience what stress is. Come to think of it, no matter who you are, we've all experienced stress.

It's only Tuesday, and I already feel burned out from work. Too many people, and too many things all wanting my attention, all claiming to be urgent. I feel stretched in so many directions I think I just might break.

So what do we do when this happens? Go shopping? Grab the ice cream? Watch a movie or get lost in a book? These proposed "solutions to stress" are many, but do any of them really work? I've tried a few, and although some of them may bring temporary relief (Buying a pair of *gorgeous* shoes, for example!) none of them bring ultimate or lasting peace.

I heard a quote today that I want to share with you:

The busier I get, the more I need to spend time in prayer.

It seems like the total opposite of what we should do when our lives start filling up and going crazy, but think about this, if we don't have time to pray over the things we've got going on in our lives, maybe we shouldn't be doing them.

I'll let you think over this for a little while.
Is there something in your life you know you shouldn't be doing - even if it's a good thing, it's keeping you from having time to pray to God?

Stress is unavoidable, but let's make it something that drives us to God instead of away from him.

1 comment:

bushums said...

Great post Vanessa! This is such a good reminder. It's so easy to let the little things in life pile up and neglect what is really important.